My kids requested a Wendy’s honey chicken sandwich a few days ago. I was not keen to go to the fast food place, so I made it at home because I thought the kids would enjoy it. The kids really did, and they found it delicious and yummy. For me, I found the recipe extremely simple—not rocket science. Just follow the list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions, and the delicious hot honey chicken sandwich is ready to eat!
Table of Contents
What is a Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich? Recipe
Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
Hot Honey Sauce Ingredients
Garlic Mayo Sauce Ingredients
Buttermilk Brine Ingredients
How to make a Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich?
Brine the Chicken:
- Make the buttermilk brine by blending buttermilk, egg, pickle juice, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight. It enhances the chicken’s flavor and ensures a crispy coating when frying.
For the Hot Honey Sauce
- Mix melted butter, honey, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl
For the Garlic Mayo Sauce
- Mix minced garlic, mayo, mustard, rosemary, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a separate medium bowl. Set this sauce aside.
Coat and fry the chicken
To Assemble The Sandwich
Storing and Reheating
- Storage: For leftover fried chicken sandwiches, it’s advisable to deconstruct them before storing them. Separate the fried chicken, buns, toppings, and sauces to contain sogginess. Place the fried chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate it. Store the buns and other components separately in their respective containers. Confirm refrigeration within two hours of preparation.
- Reheating the Chicken: When ready to enjoy the leftover fried chicken, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Band a baking sheet with parchment paper and set the fried chicken pieces on it.
- Reheating the Bun: To reheat the bun, lightly toast it in a toaster, Toaster Oven (Affiliate Link), or under the broiler for a few minutes. It will restore its texture and heat.
Read More – Subway Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Pick the Right Chicken: Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs for your sandwich. They’re easier to handle, cook evenly, and provide a juicy and delicious result.
- Brine the Chicken: Enhance the juiciness and flavor of the chicken by getting it before frying. Dip the chicken in a buttermilk brine for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator before starting the recipe.
- Short on Time? Use Mike’s Hot Honey: If you’re in a hurry, use store-bought hot honey instead of making your hot honey sauce.
- Season Generously: Season every component of the flour, buttermilk brine, chicken, and sauces. Don’t skimp on the seasoning.
- Fry to Perfection: The oil temperature is crucial for your sandwich’s success. Heat the oil in a deep skillet or fryer to 325-350°F. Ensure the chicken is fully dipped but not overcrowded, as this can affect the frying temperature and result in uneven cooking. Use a meat thermometer to confirm the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Drain Excess Oil: After frying, place the cooked chicken on a wire rack or paper towel to remove any excess oil and keep its crispiness.
- Enjoy While Warm: Fried chicken sandwiches are best when fresh and warm. Serve them immediately after assembling them to relish the crispy exterior and juicy interior.
Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Hot Honey Sauce
Brine the Chicken
- Prepare the buttermilk brine by combining buttermilk, egg, pickle juice, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or you can marinate it overnight.
- It is not only for flavor and tenderness to the chicken but also helps make a crispy coating when deep-frying.
Make The Sauces
- Hot Honey Sauce: While the chicken is bringing, prepare the sauces. Mix melted butter, honey, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and salt in a bowl.
- Garlic Mayo: In a separate medium bowl, make the garlic mayo by combining mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, fresh rosemary, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
To coat and fry the chicken
- After the chicken has finished bringing, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes.
- In a deep skillet or large pot, add oil and heat it to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare the dredge by mixing all-purpose flour, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, and kosher salt.
- Take the chicken out of the brine, dip it into the flour mixture, and press the flour firmly onto the chicken to ensure it’s fully coated.
- Place the dredged chicken on a wire rack and let it rest while the oil comes to a temperature.
- Carefully place 1-2 pieces of chicken in the hot oil and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Transfer the fried chicken to a paper towel or cooling rack to drain excess oil.
- Dip the fried chicken into the hot honey sauce, ensuring all sides are coated. Remove and allow any excess sauce to drip off.
Assemble The Chicken
- Lightly toast the brioche buns, ideally in a pan with a touch of butter 1 minute on each side.
- Spread a layer of garlic mayo on the bottom bun.
- Next, place the fried chicken on the mayo-covered bun.
- Add a layer of shredded iceberg lettuce.
- Follow with the bread and butter pickles.
- Finally, top it off with the other half of the toasted brioche bun. (If you enjoy your chicken sandwich extra saucy and spicy, add a touch more garlic mayo to the top bun!)
FAQs for Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich
NICE TO MEET YOU!
Welcome! I’m Sumi, and I have a love for FOOD. Here, we’re all almost the pleasure of homemade delicious recipes.
Have you tried out one of my recipes? Share your culinary creations with us by tagging @eatfreshs on Instagram – I’d love to see your delicious dishes and connect with enthusiasts like you!