Try this Puerto Rican Sofrito from Scratch, which is a Latin sauce-like flavorful mixture of onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. The Puerto Rican sofrito is a staple in Puerto Rican cuisine, full of aroma and flavors. You can have this with your meals, which will enhance and add flavor to your taste. This can also be herbal with a hint of spice in it. This sofrito is used in various Latin dishes, such as stews, rice dishes, bean dishes, and more. For more information, go through the list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions given below.
What is so special about the Puerto Rican Sofrito from Scratch Recipe?
What makes this Puerto Rican sofrito special is its distinct flavor, aroma, and taste. The combination of fresh ingredients gives this sauce a unique flavor. The base of the recipe is sofrito, which is also popularly used in Puerto Rican cooking. It is a representation of the small island’s traditional cooking methods, used in many other dishes as well. Making the sofrito from scratch also ensures the use of fresh ingredients. Moreover, you can make it spicy or medium, depending on the amount of ingredients. Thus, this sauce is very versatile and you can adjust the spices as per your taste.
How to make Puerto Rican Sofrito From Scratch Recipe
|Cooking Time – Stove
|Total Time – Oven
The primary ingredients of the Puerto Rican Sofrito from Scratch must be chopped and blended. This recipe’s preparation and cooking times can change based on how big the meal is and how well you cut, combine, and do other tasks. The components need to be chopped and prepared, which takes around 20 minutes. On the other hand, if we observe the cooking time, which includes an additional 10 minutes for the sofrito. Consequently, the entire meal can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
Puerto Rican Sofrito From Scratch Recipe Ingredients
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Antioxidant: The ingredients used in sofrito, like garlic, onions, tomatoes, and more, are rich in antioxidant properties that can boost your immunity and reduce chronic diseases in your body.
- Ingredients: The ingredients in the sofrito are nutrients rich with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, fiber, and antioxidants. For more information, scroll down to check the Nutrition Fact table.
- Low in calories: Sofrito is a low-calorie and low-fat sauce that you can have with your meals. It adds flavor to your meals without adding any excess calories or unhealthy fats. It maintains a proper balanced diet for you.
- Immune-Boosting: The vitamin C content of peppers and tomatoes in sofrito can help support a healthy immune system.
- No Artificial Additives: Sofrito is made from fresh, natural ingredients, eliminating the need for artificial flavorings, preservatives, or high amounts of sodium.
- Digestive Benefits: The combination of garlic, onions, and herbs in sofrito can aid digestion and promote a healthy gut.
- Calories: 15 kcal
- Total Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3.6g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.7g
- Total Sugars: 1.4g
- Protein: 0.7g
There are two types of sofrito:
- Dominican sofrito, known as sazon, incorporates vinegar for a flavorful kick and annatto for color.
- Cuban sofrito is made with tomatoes and red bell peppers for sweetness and color, and it also contains diced ham.
NICE TO MEET YOU!
Welcome! I’m Sumi, and I have a love for FOOD. Here, we’re all almost the pleasure of homemade delicious recipes.
Have you tried out one of my recipes? Share your culinary creations with us by tagging @eatfreshs on Instagram – I’d love to see your delicious dishes and connect with enthusiasts like you!